Department of Geological Sciences
HomeUndergraduateGraduateCoursesResearchPeopleNews & EventsResources
 
 

bannerbanner

bannerbanner


Gifts

The Departmental Gift Account   George Herman's Gift   Frederick W. and Lorraine P. Hinrichs Living Trust   Arthur L. Howland Fund  
Dr. Laurence L. Sloss Fund

The Departmental Gift Account

The Departmental Gift Account serves an important departmental
purpose. Unlike the endowed accounts, this account allows the department immediate access to contributions. It has been used to meet the department share of set up accounts of incoming faculty. It also has been used to provide items that contribute to the "ambience" of the department. Last year, for example, new chairs were purchased for the Sloss Room where departmental seminars and graduate level classes are taught.

George Herman's Gift
May 1997
George Herman
1924-1996

George HermanGeorge Herman, lately of New Orleans, and a graduate student in this Department in 1947-49, passed away on January 11, 1996. He left a very substantial bequest honoring our Professor emeritus Laurence L. Sloss and designating it for scholarship purposes. George Herman's bequest will augment the existing Dr. L. L. Sloss Fund in support of research and education in this Department. Dr. Emily H. Vokes, Professor emerita of Geology at Tulane University and Executrix for the Succession of George Herman, wrote to Professor Sloss in his lifetime about his late student's will and wish. Larry Sloss was profoundly touched by this combination of sad and generous news about the former student. Professor Vokes made George Herman's gift to the Department in May 1997, along with the biographical information. Edward B. Picou, Jr., George Herman's long-time friend and colleague, wrote in memoriam in the Monthly Newsletter of New Orleans Geological Society: "Since George had developed a keen interest in fossils, sedimentation and stratigraphy he decided to attend Northwestern University. . . studying under guidance of the impressive troika of Professors Krumbein, Sloss and Dapples -- all leaders in their geologic specialties." George Herman received his B.S. degree with honors in Geology from City College of New York in 1947; he was subsequently enrolled in the Master's program at Northwestern (1947-49); he took graduate extension courses at the University of Utah (1956-63), while working full-time for Shell Oil Company since 1949 until his retirement in 1986. Starting in the position of Junior Geologist at Shell Oil, his last post was Manager of Geology in the Onshore Division. Retiring in 1986, he was active as a Consultant and as Adjunct Professor of Geology at Tulane University in New Orleans. George Herman's professional work at Shell Oil included studies of the stratigraphy and salt tectonics of the Paradox Basin (Four Corners area of Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico), Jurassic and Cretaceous ammonites, petroleum migration and entrapment, clastic and carbonate depositional systems, and subsidence rates of basins on passive crustal-plate margins. His science-related avocations included cultivation of bromeliads, and collecting and taxonomic classification of cowries (marine gastropods of the family Cypraeidae), combined with his membership in the Louisiana Malacological Society. Ed Picou also wrote of his friend's dedication to the training of the young geologists he hired at Shell Oil Company, and of many there who are indebted to him for molding their careers. During his academic associations with Tulane University, University of New Orleans, and Louisiana State University, George Herman "gave counsel to graduate students on their Master's and Ph.D. research projects. Education was very important to him." The latter sentence explains George Herman's wish to support education in Geological Sciences and at the same time to honor Larry Sloss, himself a dedicated and inspiring educator throughout his long professional career. George Herman's bequest is, apart from its material value, a strong expression of his faith in the principle of scholarly excellence, always promoted by this Department. His contribution to the Sloss Fund will help us maintain our efforts and continue to improve the quality of education we offer our students.

Abraham Lerman
Chair of the Department

Back to Top

Frederick W. and Lorraine P. Hinrichs Living Trust

The Department of Geological Sciences is honored to have received a substantial donation from the estate of alumnus Frederick W. Hinrichs, who earned both his B.S. and M.S. in Geology at Northwestern. Born in Chicago on May 1, 1915, Mr. Hinrichs served in the United States Navy until retiring from the Naval Reserve in 1959 at the rank of Rear Admiral. He served on the staff of General Douglas MacArthur in Japan during World War II. In 1948, after his active duty, Admiral Hinrichs (known by his middle name "Woods") became Chief Geologist and Manager of Exploration Services for Fairchild Aerial Surveys and then worked as the Western Exploration Manager for Aero Services Corporation. He was a member of the Legion of Honor of the Society of Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration, the American Association of Petroleum Geologists, and the Society of Exploration Geologists. At Northwestern, Admiral Hinrichs was instrumental in building a memorial east of the main library in memory of NU NROTC graduates who died in World War II. The memorial, which consists of a granite block bearing an aluminum plaque, was dedicated in 1981. Longtime residents of Beverly Hills, California, Admiral Hinrichs and his wife Lorraine Peters Hinrichs died on Tuesday, November 26, 1996, and Wednesday, November 27, 1996, respectively. The Department of Geological Sciences is proud to have received such a generous gift from their estate.

Back to Top

Arthur L. Howland Fund
Arthur Howland
1908-1978

Arthur L. HowlandThe Howland Fund was established on January 22, 1979, from a gift of Mrs. Barbara Z. Wilson, under the name of Arthur L. Howland Geological Sciences Field Study Fund. Over the years, gifts from the alumni contributed to a substantial growth of the Fund principal, the income from which is used to support field-related research work. Arthur Lloyd Howland (January 13, 1908 -- November 23, 1978) received his A.B. degree from Cornell in 1929, M.A. from Northwestern in 1931, and Ph.D. from Princeton in 1933. Art began his faculty career at Northwestern as an Instructor in 1933 and retired as Professor of Geological Sciences in 1976. His geological work included many years of studies of the structure, petrology and mineralogy of Precambrian rocks, and mineral deposits of chromite, copper-nickel sulfides, and platinum-group metals. He worked extensively in the field on the iron formations in Minnesota, the Stillwater Complex in Montana, in Newfoundland, Society Islands, and Brazil. During World War II he was associated with the U.S. Geological Survey in the Strategic Minerals Program and the Military Geology Unit, later working part-time in the Mineral Deposits Branch. For twenty-four years, since 1945 to 1969, Arthur Howland served as the Chairman of Department of Geology, later renamed Department of Geological Sciences. Art's outstanding contribution as Chairman to the growth of the Department in the late 1940s was his bringing to Northwestern faculty such individuals as W.C. Krumbein, L.L. Sloss and R.M. Garrels, each of whom became a distinguished and inspiring pioneer of world renown in his field. During Art Howland's tenure as the Chairman, the Department moved from University Hall to Locy Hall, the building it occupies at present.
January 1999

Back to Top

Dr. Laurence L. Sloss Fund
Laurence L. Sloss
1913-1996

Dr. Laurence L. SlossThe Dr. Laurence L. Sloss Fund at Northwestern University was started through the gift of John R. and Barbara Z. Wilson on 28 May 1986, and the legal memorandum establishing the Fund, as fund No. 5556 at Northwestern, was signed on 12 June 1986. Income from the Fund is used in support of research and education in the Department of Geological Sciences. The words ``in support of research and education'' cover a multifaceted activity that changes its emphasis and focus with time, along with the growth of the department and changes in its research directions. In the ten years since the Dr. Laurence L. Sloss Fund has been established, its income was variably used in support of graduate students' field work and other research activities, and participation in national or international meetings where students presented the results of their work. We at Northwestern have set a goal of building up the Sloss Fund to a level where its income would provide at least one full-year stipend to a graduate student who can be designated as a recipient of the L. L. Sloss Fellowship. We have reached this goal and believe it is a fitting and worthy recognition of Larry Sloss's nearly 50 years at Northwestern and the even longer time of his contributions to geology and education of many generations of undergraduate and graduate students.

To make a donation to the Dr. Laurence L. Sloss Fund, please make your check payable to: Dr. L. L. Sloss Fund, Northwestern University
and mail to:
Chairman
Department of Geological Sciences
Locy Hall, 1847 Sheridan Road
Northwestern University
Evanston, IL 60208-2150

All contributions are processed by the Department through University channels and credited to the principal of the Fund, and you will hear from us and the Office of Alumni Relations. Your help to achieve our goal will be greatly appreciated!

     Brad Sageman
     Chair, Dept. of Geological Sciences


Back to Top

Back to Main Alumni Page


Northwestern logo WCAS logo